We make surgery prep as painless as possible at Foundation Surgical Hospital of Houston.
Careful attention to the following instructions will help ensure your comfort and reduce the possibility of complications or delay.
- Do not eat or drink anything including water after midnight the evening before your procedure, unless you are specifically advised differently. Undigested food in the stomach may cause complications and your procedure is likely to be postponed if you do not follow these instructions.
- Do not smoke or chew gum after midnight the evening before your procedure. Take only the medication your physician or nurse tells you to take on the morning of surgery.
- What if you feel under the weather? If you feel ill or have a fever, you should call your physician as soon as possible. Your physician will evaluate your situation and make a prudent decision regarding the continuation or rescheduling of your procedure.
- Arrange Transportation: You should pre-arrange for someone to drive you home and stay with you the first night following your return home from the hospital. A member of our staff will be happy to contact the person you designated when you are ready to leave. We will also provide you with detailed discharge instructions so that both you and anyone helping to care for you at home will know what to expect and how to keep you safe and comfortable.
What to pack/bring:
- Insurance information
- Driver’s license or photo identification
- If you have an Advance Directive or Living Will, be sure to bring it with you to the hospital. By federal law, the Advance Directive is available to every patient and should be a part of your medical record.
- Bring all medications in the original bottle you are currently taking at home including all over-the-counter medications and herbal or dietary supplements.
- Personal items such as eyeglasses, contacts, dentures and hearing aids
- You may bring your own sleepwear and other comfortable clothing to wear home.
- Please DO NOT bring valuables such as rings and jewelry, or large amounts of cash.
- Don’t forget to pack your favorite toothbrush, toothpaste and slippers.
If you are staying overnight, the hospital can provide you with a hospital gown, warm socks or slippers. Personal hygiene items including toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and powder can be provided by the hospital for a fee. You may bring your own toiletries if you so desire.